Black seed, nigella or kalonji, is also known as the "seed of blessing" as it is considered to be one of the greatest healing herbs of all times. The small black seeds are got from kalonji bushes, which are grown widely throughout India. The seeds are about the same size as sesame seeds, though they have a more triangular instead of oval shape.
Apart from being a wonderful medicine, kalonji is a superb spice, used to flavour a variety of traditional dishes including pickles.
Black seed contains nigella and melatin, two ingredients that give it highly diversified medicinal powers. These substances work together to improve digestion and to cleanse the body.
• Nigella seeds also help fight against respiratory ailments.
• It also acts as an antihistamine, which helps to reduce the negative symptoms of allergy sufferers.
• It is also a strong antioxidant and helps cleanse the body of toxins.
• Black seed provides a rich supply of polyunsaturated fatty acids, which play a key role in daily health and wellness. They help to regulate metabolism, balance insulin levels, control cholesterol, improve body circulation, and promote healthy liver function.
• Mix a teaspoon of kalonji oil in boiling water and inhale the vapours twice a day. This helps to relieve nasal congestion.
• To arrest vomiting, it helps to take ½ a teaspoon of fresh ginger juice mixed with equal amount of kalonji seeds powder, twice a day.
• For getting rid of worms in the tummy, mix 1 spoon of vinegar with half teaspoon kalonji seeds powder and have it twice daily before food for 10 days, during which time you ought to avoid sweets.